Christmas craft market
Exhibition 2023 has closed its doors. For the moment, we’re busy opening the windows, tidying up and packing up all the objects that made up the exhibition. Then it’s time to set up the Christmas market, which opens on 3 December.
The theme of “Festive Delicacies” is very close to that of Christmas, so some elements of the exhibition, such as the cots, santons and tables, will remain.
It’s winter, the days are short, it’s grey and cold, but the festive season brings its share of sweet treats.
As for the santons, they are inseparable from the thirteen desserts. And fava beans, so diverse that they are the delight of collectors, nestle in the frangipane of the galettes des Rois.
To coincide with its 2023 exhibition, the Maison régionale des Arts de la table has put the spotlight on these festive objects and produced a bean.
For some years now, the production and consumption of beer has been booming. The diversity, the variety of shapes and materials of the containers was worth an exhibition. Which could be enjoyed without moderation.
The nostalgia of convivial moments is adorned with the blues of the Drôme and the dinnerware of Saint-Uze.
Regional House of tableware and Longchamps’s faience factory: 1980–2020.
Visiting an exhibition is also travelling, especially if it invites you to travel the world!
Fruits, desserts and jams are even more delicious in attractive containers.
The permanent collections
Since 2020, the exhibition of the museum’s collections has been a complement to the annual themed exhibition.
Arnay-le-Duc and the Regional House of tableware
Saint Peter’s Hospice
A bit of history…. That of the Regional House.
Former hospice of Arnay-le-Duc, called ‘Domus Dei Arneti’ is reported from the thirteenth century. A judgement of the court of parliament, dated June 15, 1599, take note of the existence of this hospital then implanted along the Arroux right below the bridge Saint Jacques which crosses the river. This hospital comprised eight beds for the poor people and was originally served by two secular women, then by three religious sisters of the Beaune hospital. At 100 metres from its original location on the other riverside of the Arroux, it erected in 1693 to 1695 the present building of St. Peter’s Hospital, according to the plans and under the direction of Claude and François Boituzet, architects in Autun.
The first stone was laid by Emiland Bonnard, the king’s secretary and mayor of Arnay in 1681. The current buildings were built in 1693 for the price of 6000 pounds. Twelve patients’ beds were installed there and entrusted to four nuns from Sainte Marthe de Beaune. For three centuries, nuns assured the working of this institution. The rotunda of the chapel was added in 1873. In the choir are buried hospital chaplains and in the chapel, the superiors. In 1977 the last patients were transferred to the new hospital of Arnay-le-Duc, hence the idea of creating the Regional House of tableware in the former hospice. The entrance portal, the inner gates, facades and roofs of the pavilion guards, of the hospice building and of the dovecote were classified 8 December 1981.
Originality of this historic site: this house periodically hosts exceptional exhibitions.
Arnay-le-Duc is a charming medieval city in the heart of Burgundy between Paris and Lyon, with a rich historic past and a renowned gastronomy. The geographical location argues in favour of the Regional House. Arnay-le-Duc, is halfway the wine slop and Morvan. The nearest towns are Dijon at 55 km, Beaune at 35 km, and Autun at 27 km. There are 17 km to the A6 at Pouilly-en-Auxois.
This is a unique achievement in France, the first museum devoted entirely to our food, both everyday and for special occasions. The Maison Régionale des Arts de la Table offers to all, Burgundians and visiting friends, a discovery or a rediscovery of this art of the table that the permanent rush does not allow us to enjoy as it should. Since 1981, the Maison Régionale des Arts de la Table has been opening its doors for an exhibition lasting more than 7 months and organised around the essential elements of the art of living: food, gastronomy, gourmet food … and above all the art of the table.
It all started with the meeting of two men: Pierre Meunier and Henry Moisand. Henry Moisand was mayor of Longchamp after the death of his father Gaëtan (who died in 1945). He was elected five times from 1947 to 1977. At that time, he left Longchamp so as not to interfere with the new officials, either at the Mairie or at the Faïenceries, and lived in Fontaine-lès-Dijon until his death in 1982.
Age (one year apart), studies (law) and above all their respective commitment to the development of Burgundy are the elements that brought Pierre Meunier and Henry Moisand together.
Very early on, Henry Moisand sought to decompartmentalise the trades and, as early as January 1966, he created the French Tableware Committee. He thus brought together crystal makers, goldsmiths, porcelain makers, earthenware makers, etc., but also the food trades that he used to frequent, both at the gastronomic fair and at the Commanderie des Cordons Bleus, of which he was president, succeeding the founder Gaston Gérard, or at the Confrérie du Tastevin, whose development he followed under the leadership of his friend Jacques Chevignard.
He shared this very Burgundian mixture of joie de vivre and professionalism with his illustrious members of the Confrérie du Tastevin, M. Barbier, a senator, Gérard Curie, an accomplished artist who directed the fine arts in Beaune and Jacques Chevignard.
It is in the context of this very warm relationship that we must place his meeting with Pierre Meunier, in 1974, during a dinner at the ‘Terminus’ restaurant in Arnay-le-Duc with the Confrérie des Cordons Bleus.
Pierre Meunier wanted to save the magnificent building that now houses the Maison régionale des Arts de table and Henry Moisand gave him his support.
Why not Longchamp? Henry Moisand had fought for 30 years of his life to establish a vocational school in Longchamp and his efforts were finally crowned with success.
Of course, he thought that the earthenware factories would continue to develop and, one year before his retirement, he did not imagine launching a new project there.
For, to bring a project to fruition, you need a tenacious and capable leader and Pierre Meunier proved to be that man.
+33 3 80 90 11 59
from 23 April to 12 November
Every day from 10 to 12 a.m.
and from 2 to 6 p.m.
from December 3 to 30
Open every day from 10 to 12 a.m. and from 2 to 6 p.m.
15, rue Saint-Jacques
6 € for one person
Reduced rate and group rate: 5 €.
Children : free until 8 years old.
Institutional and cultural partners
They subsidise us
Partner of the museum key
Seventeen museums in the Morvan have joined forces to offer an inter-site passport: the museum key.
Buy a full-price ticket in one of the partner museums and then benefit from a reduced rate in the other museums participating in this operation, on presentation of the entrance ticket of the last museum visited. Ask for the leaflet at the museum reception desk!